Monday, February 27, 2012

Great Individual Servings of Dessert

I had been looking at a blog where the lady had posted several recipes for these microwaved mug cakes or brownies that are popular on Pinterest now. They all looked good and I thought about trying one. Then her next post was of a self saucing chocolate cake baked in a ramekin and done in a regular oven. I thought why not make that in a mug in the microwave because that is the one that sounded the best to me, so I decided to try it. Her recipe was for 4 ramekins so I made it in 4 mugs since I don't have ramekins here and the mugs worked fine.

It worked really well in the microwave so if any of you want to make 4 individual servings of self saucing chocolate cake, try this recipe, then divide it amongst 4 mugs and bake each one for 1 minute in the microwave. 4 T. melted butter, 1/2 c. sugar, 2 T. cocoa, 1 egg--beat this all up with a fork. Add 1/2 c. milk ( I used soy milk), 1 t. vanilla, 3/4 c. flour, 1- 1/2t. baking powder, and a pinch of salt. I almost forgot, I added some chocolate chips, of course they make anything chocolate even better. In another little bowl mix 1/2 c. brown sugar and 2 T. cocoa. Spoon over top of the batter in the mugs but don't mix it in. Then also pour slowly 1/4 c. boiling water over top of this and again don't mix it in. Microwave each mug for 1 minute.
Each mug makes an nice serving of chocolate cake with chocolate sauce in the bottom of the mug. It would be hard to make just one serving of this because of the egg. I think if you put a whole egg for just one serving it would be too rubbery. Maybe some time I will try it using the recipe for Wacky Cake that uses vinegar and soda and no eggs. We'll see.
Posted by PicasaThe only thing that would have made it better would have been if I had whipped some of this cream. It is UHT cream and lasts for months in the fridge. It doesn't even have to be refrigerated but won't whip unless chilled so I just keep it in the fridge so it will be ready for use if I want it. They had this cream in Spain too and I really liked keeping it on hand because it won't spoil or go sour like regular fresh cream. Tell me if you ever find it at home. It is a great product, but I have never seen it there.

No comments: