Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Avacado and Pineapple Forrest

You would all know you are at my house because you would be greeted by a bunch of sprouting avacado pits and pineapple tops! Most of these avacado pits are from those large ones we bought from that man by the side of the road. Several more have sprouted since I took this picture so I am happy that so many have sprouted. I have been annoyed because some of the pineapples here have their tops lopped off before we buy them. Don't they know I want to try to grow them from the top? But a couple of them even sprouted roots when there wasn't much top to begin with and then they start growing from the middle of the cut off part. Now I don't know what to do with them. I did pot one of the pineapples but I don't know if it is alive or dead. It doesn't seem to grow, and several of our other potted plants have died. I guess eventually I will need to put them in pots, but for now, they will just stay like this and I will enjoy them.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Mom, I must be turning into you. I've been growing my green onions in a jar with water. I learned it on pinterest. The onions keep growing even after you cut some off, and then they don't get slimy in the fridge drawer. I've been growning the same bunch for about a month now, but they've started to slow down, so I'll probably buy a new bunch on my next trip to the grocery store.

pam said...

I too read about growing green onions, but I haven't been using green onions so haven't tried it. I also read that you could grow celery from the base if you cut it off and started it in water.

pam said...

I too read about growing green onions, but I haven't been using green onions so haven't tried it. I also read that you could grow celery from the base if you cut it off and started it in water.

Elder and Sister Shields said...

May 8, 2012
No wonder we could not find you last September (2011) when we were at the MTC in Provo. We are in Zambia, Africa for 23 months, serving in the Seminary and Institute program, along with the Perpetual Education Fund program. We are having a good experience, even if we had no experience in those programs. Teaching English in China, must have been the reason they thought we should do this.
Burton & Patricia Shields

pam said...

Wow! You guys are awesome. Glad you are having a good experience. Things are going well here too. Life here is a lot like home only they speak Spanish and my Spanish isn't that good. There are other gringos here and a couple of the kids have been here to visit. Hope things continue to go well for you.