Thursday, May 3, 2012

Crocheting Plasitc Bags

Posted by PicasaYou probably think I have too much spare time on my hands. One of the senior sisters had crocheted a cute bag out of strips of plastic bags, the ones you bring home from grocery stores, etc. So I decided to try it too. The first photos show some bags from the home improvement store called Epa. They are yellow with navy and turquoise printing on them. Those of you from Arizona will appreciate the icon, a scorpion! Anyways you cut the bag into strips. I found a diagram on the internet that showed an easy way, tie the ends together, roll it into a ball and start crocheting. I found the hook at the little fabric store down in the town of Belen. Some of the sisters I know here know how to read crochet patterns. I don't. I just started monkeying around. I first made the white one. This is made from bags from either Mega Super of Auto Mercado. Both their bags are white with red and green printing. I made this larger than I really needed, but as I said I didn't really know what I was doing and this is just the size it ended up. But at this size, I can fit in the looseleaf notebood I use for the temple and then squish it down small enough to fit in my temple locker so it works well and I get a lot of complements on it. The little red flower is made from a bag from the other home improvement store, Lagar, whose bags are mostly red. The last one is made from bags from Walmart or Mas X Menos, their bags are gray with a little black printing on them. I guess this one turned out to be a basket or you could turn in upside down and make a hat! I need more bags to finish the yellow one. It will be round and I think I will put a drawstring in the top of just crochet a strap like the white one. Anyways it has been fun to do. I will probably dream up some more crocheting.

2 comments:

Angela said...

HOORAY! Your pictures worked! Those turned out neat, Mom. And they'll be nice and water-resistant during the rainy season. :)

pam said...

They are plastic but all crochet has a lot of holes in it. We shall see.