Monday, June 4, 2012

Playa Conchal, Shell Beach

Playa Conchal is in the north part of Costa Rica in the province of Guanacaste. We had a couple of days off from the temple and so went up there to check things out.
We are now into the rainy season, but it was nice at the beach. Sun was hot, but we didn't stay out in it too long. They tell us that this rainy season thing gets wetter as the months go by. So I wouldn't advise anyone to come and visit during August, September or October unless you really like hot and humid!
This particular beach was a little difficult to get to but we just drove across the previous beach and up over a little rise and made it there. The people who were snorkeling around the rocks off the shore said it was good snorkeling.
The sand is mixed with millions of crushed and tiny shells. They make the sand really soft so you sink into it more than regular sand.
Close up of the sand and shells. I don't know why this particular beach is like this, why all the shells in this spot.
There was a sand crab inside of this larger shell.
He was scurrying around a lot. I don't know if it was his own shell or a borrowed one. I didn't try to steal the shell!
But I did pick up lots of the others. The broken ones reminded me of sea glass as the pieces were worn smooth from the tumbling in the sand and the sea.
Some of the pieces like this were really pretty and I think would make pretty jewelry.
I picked up a bunch and brought them home. It is all washed and looking pretty in a glass jar.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

MarySue said...

Oh dear, that would be dangerous for me since I LOVE sea shells. Sending love.

Angela said...

Such an interesting beach! Thanks for sharing Mom. You'll have to let us know if you make anything with the shells. I still have some little ones I collected at the beach in the Canary Islands.

pam said...

I don't know if I will make anything until I get home. Although I did find a store that sells a lot of things for making jewelry so might try. I was thinking that with lots of them, I might try drilling holes in them to make bracelets or something and would need a power drill. So we will see.