Monday, September 3, 2007

Fresh Fruit

I really love blogs with great pictures. But as all of you know, I am electronically challenged and consider myself lucky just to be able to comment on your postings or to post something myself. For a picture, you can refer to the last photo of the raspberries and count that for my blog too, since I was the one who taught all of you to love raspberries, or does Grandpa get the credit for that. Anyways, we have had a great little basket of locally grown raspberries this last week too. When Steve was here we met him, Angela, and Austin at Zupa's for lunch and I had a salad with fresh berries and nuts with a poppy seed dressing and that reminded me how much I enjoyed that kind of salad. So we stopped at Verd's on State St. and got some fresh raspberries and some strawberries and I have had that salad a couple of times and it was great. Today we drove up to Midway, but I guess Swiss Days was over. We found the half tents where activities must have taken place, but it must have been on Saturday only. Next year, if Nancy is around, maybe we will make it on Saturday. Angela and Brian have been going to the Onion Days festivities in Payson, I guess we should have gone to that with them. But we enjoyed the car ride up the canyon, some of the leaves are already starting to turn color, and had our favorite thick milkshakes at Dairy Keen in Heber. Boy is that a busy main street. I distinctly remember last summer right after we got home from the mission watching all the pickup trucks going fast up and down that street and being amazed at how large all the vehicles here were. Now I guess I am used to it. We were thinking how everybody in Utah must have been at the Dairy Keen when we stopped, and did run into a few people from the ward who had been up to Jordanelle water skiing. We also went to the outlets at Park City and the other half of the people in the state must have been there shopping. We walked around all the stores, but I didn't buy anything and Laurie bought a T shirt. He says he needs more long sleeved white shirts to go along with his new calling in the branch presidency of Branch 44, Spanish speaking, at the MTC. Last week we had to go shopping for ties. He says his ties are not conservative enough for the MTC and used this for an excuse to buy several new ties. Needless to say, he is having fun with this calling. But I have to say that I enjoy it too, except I have to put on nylons every time I set foot on the MTC campus. We had a great conference on Sunday and have one of those every fast Sunday. This week will be a little light as we will not be getting any new missionaries in our branch on Wednesday.
Sunday, Angela and Brian and Austin came for dinner. We had leg of lamb. It has probably been years since I cooked lamb, but we needed a little variety. Angela brought her home made fresh peach ice cream and that was delicious. I ate too much of it. I did get up this morning and walk up the mountain. I go up Dry Canyon, then down Denali and around that loop 3 or 4 times. This time I just did 3 times and came home. Then Laurie said he was disappointed because he had wanted to go with me and I had gone without him. He doesn't usually go. So I said I would go again. I hope that paid for the ice cream yesterday. Brian had picked the peaches off his Grandma's tree and they were delicious. I remember many years ago getting to pick my fill of apricots off Aunt Lura and Aunt Vilo's tree in Salt Lake. They were the best. Remember this all fits in with the raspberry theme. Speaking of raspberries, that was the flavor of milkshake Laurie had at Dairy Keen. In keeping with my usual preference, I picked something with chocolate in it.
We are continuing to have nice warm weather, it is in the 90's each day. We have been able to pick a lot of fresh tomatoes off our own plants. Our garden is that large tire that used to be a sandpile or something. I made salsa with a lot of the tomatoes and I like that. The radio said tomorrow it will cool off a little . We will wait and see. I wouldn't mind a little cooler weather, but am not ready for winter yet.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I hope winter doesn't hit all of a sudden when we get up there. After a record number of days over 110 degrees (32!), I think we deserve a nice, mild, cool autumn, don't you?

I look forward to good Utah fruit. Mmmm.

austinmcraig said...

I've gotten to enjoy Angela and Brian's peaches and Mom and Dad's tomatoes, and let me tell you, top notch, both of them.

Becky said...

Mom, that was a great post, even with no pics! Its fun to hear your update. Definitely I'll give you the credit for all my love of fresh fruit. Thanks for being a great mom.

Nancy said...

Mom, you're making me wish I could move to Utah sooner! Of course we will go to Swiss Days next year, it's really too bad you missed it, but you would have thought it was cute and probably not bought anything anyway. I'm sure the drive was worth it though, and all the fresh fruit sounds wonderful. I think I have a little of Dad in me and like to find excuses to buy new things too! Okay now we need you and Dad to make your holiday plans so we can all plan around you!