Sunday, March 25, 2012

Snakes and Big Cats at La Paz Waterfall Garden

Posted by PicasaThere are several varieties of poisonous snakes that are native to Costa Rica. We saw some of them in the snake exibit at La Paz Waterfall Garden. Snakes are not my favorite wildlife, in fact, far from my favorite. But here are a few pictures of some of the ones we saw. The first is a green vine snake and I hope I never grab hold of one thinking it is a branch or vine in the rain forest. The second one is called an eyelash snake and is extremely venomous. At least he would show up better in the forest so we could avoid him! Then another green vine snake. Fourth is the Fer de lance that I have mentioned before. They are big and ugly and supposed to be very aggressive as well as deadly. Fortunately for me, they are mostly found in agricultural fields where they hunt rodents, and so I will be careful to avoid walking around in cane fields etc. The big cats native to Costa Rica are fascinating and pretty. The first one you should recognize. Go! Cougars! The next couple are of Ocelots. They are smallish and have exceptionally pretty coats. The last two are of a Jaguar. This Jaguar was particularly restless and wouldn't stand still for a second, but here a couple of fairly decent shots. They have huge jaws and paws and I hope to never run into one in the wild. We enjoyed seeing this beautiful creature behind thick glass.

No comments: