Sunday, July 22, 2007

Progress and the Pursuit of Things Bright and Shiny



I bought a solar oven. Several months ago Richard told me that his parents regularly used one. I was impressed. It sounded so new world to me. So I did some research and I came across the Global Sun Oven, "Rated as the top solar appliance in the world." It looked like just the thing; but it was pricey. Of coarse part of that price goes to help provide the same product to the underprivileged chefs of underdeveloped countries. But still, we do have a budget.

Luckily, the firm settled a mega million dollar case, and I got a little bonus. I'm a careful spender, so I thought and thought about what to dispose my discretionary cash on. I bought Emily a dress, and there was still some money left over. I went back to the Sun Oven website and read that, "Purchasing a SUN OVEN® may well prove to be one the best investments you ever make." It rang true to me. I went to ebay and found a brand new one for about $50 below normal retail. I thought some more, and then I committed to the transaction.

We had our second meal out of it today. I wish I hadn't waited so long. Just picture it -- the rays of that hot Arizona sun, concentrated into the black box, off of the shiny reflectors, ramping the chamber up to as high as 350 degrees -- causing steam to wisp up from my pork roast, brown rice, peppers, and quinoa. The kitchen stays nice and cool. Don't have to pay for the energy. Cooks while we're at church, ad no danger of burning the house down.

It just makes me feel happy. It just makes me feel confident in human progress and the pursuit of things bright and shiny.

As it turns out, solar cooking isn't new world at all. One of those websites in my research stated unequivocally that people have used the sun to cook for thousands of years.

Thanks for the tip, Rich.

10 comments:

Becky said...

Steve that is awesome! Way to harnass the suns possibilities.

Becky said...

I think we should post a pic of Em in her new dress, too. :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE that you bought a solar cooker. Now, is this an investment that Rich has made as well? I do remember making something similar in High School with some foil and a shoe box. I was quite impressed. It warmed that hot dog up quite nicely. Don't think I could have done a roast in it. I think we were actually learning about parabolas? Anway, way to go green Steve. And congrats on the wining settlement. I love that Emily's dress came first!

Richard said...

Oops! I accidentally posted this to your Mom & Dad's anniversary entry...

Congratulations! I was instantly jealous when I saw the picture. My dad uses one to cook his lunches while out on the job site. I'm glad it has worked for you thus far.
In addition to a year's supply of food we all need a way to cook it! I don't think my five gallons of propane is going to get me very far.

pam said...

So did all that food cook well while you were at church, in other words about 3 0r 4 hours. And how did it all turn out? Did everybody like it and are you planning to do it often? Good luck with your future solar cooked meals. Mom

Nancy said...

I've thought about getting one too, since I was so worried about the bird flu and all. Maybe I'll just come to you when catastrophe strikes! Maybe you should have a Sunday dinner party to let everyone try it out...hmm...smells like a good idea. P.S. good luck on Friday, we're rooting for you!

Sarah said...

How do you think it will do in the winter? Longer cooking time with a less intense sun? I so want one!

austinmcraig said...

How are the meals? That is now the newest item on my lifetime acquisition list. Glad you're coming up, see you tomorrow.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think I'll get one soon.