Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Craigs @ Opee and Opa's 50th Anniversary

I still do not have this figured out and my hassel quotient has about had it, but here is the picture of the whole family at Opee and Opa's 50th Wedding anniversary. They were married in October of 1935, so this must have been in 1985. We went to Shreveport and went to the anniversary celebration that was held in the Sheraton ball room - they really put on the dogs. There were lots of flowers created by my cousin Tom Craig, lots of food, and most importantly for Opee and Opa, lots and lots of their friends and relatives, some who came a long ways to be with them. I told you last Sunday this was a big deal for Opee since their wedding had been kept secret when they married in 1935 to preserve Opee's job since it was in the middle of the Depression and Opee was the only wage earner with a job in her family. Opee's father, had a stroke two months after they married and he died without learning of his only daughter's marriage. Opee told me she stayed at his bed side while he lingered in the hospital so she could share the secret with him, but he died without ever regaining consciousness. But something more cheerful - Happy Birthday Austin and Angela. You are about two and a half here. Austin, do you see how stern and intimidating you were? You used to use your scowling powers to get your way in the nursery at Church. Angela, we used to pull your hair up to make you look taller so we could get you into the rides at Disneyland. Here, you seem to be bored by it all (and probably were since you guys hardly knew anyone there). I looked at the picture and said to Mom I was the only one who hadn't changed, but really all of us look remarkably like we did 22 and a half years ago. We have just aged a little, and in my case, I've added a few more pounds. Austin and Angela, we are glad you decided to come and join this Celestial family - it would not be nearly as celestial nor as interesting and fun without you. We love you and wish you every happiness on this your birthday! Have a great one - love Mom and Dad

6 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks dad. I'm a little sad you didn't post the picture where Austin has his tounge out. That's one of my favorites.

Nancy said...

I actually do remember being there. I remember they had a kids table with crayons and I think play dough or something to keep us occupied. It was fun, fun, fun, oh and I remeber Genia's hair do since I'd never seen anything quite like it before. Wish we could do it all over again, maybe for Mom and Dad's fiftieth!

austinmcraig said...

Thanks, Dad! My scowling powers are still surprisingly effective.

Richard said...

I LOVE Becky's glasses!

(1985, that would make Becky the age that Maddie & Savanna are now...)

James Rupprecht said...

Now this is the Craig family as I remember them! :)

Steve, I remember how impressed I was with your trampoline skills!

Rupprecht blog updated:

http://jrupprecht23.blogspot.com

James

austinmcraig said...

James, this is the Craig family you remember? It's been a while. This is the Craig family as I barely remember!