Monday, April 30, 2012

New Favorite Costa Rican Food

 
Posted by PicasaI was actually looking for a lemon pudding mix but couldn't find one.  All the "pudding"mixes they had were flans.  So when I found this pie filling mix, decided it might work.  I was making a recipe that was supposed to be really easy, but of course couldn't find all the easy stuff.  It was supposed to start with a lemon cake mix and had to just make one from scratch, but they don't believe in lemon extract here either.  So I used lemon juice and zest.  But their lemons are different than we are used to , they are round and green, more like a lime and they aren't very juicy so didn't get much juice.  Baked the cake, poked holes in it with the handle of a wooden spoon and then poured over the prepared lemon pie filling.  What makes this pie filling so special is that it is made with sweetened condensed milk, and anything made with sweetened condensed milk is really yummy, especially if you are the one who gets to lick off the lid and the can. Then the next layer was supposed to be cool whip, but I used whipped cream.  I think I alreaady told you about the UHT treated cream here that you can keep for ages and it doesn't spoil so I always keep some on hand.  We had a party for one of the couples who have been working in the temple and left for home.  So this is what I took to the party.  Even though it was a bunch of substitutions, it turned out really good and everybody liked it. So I will be coming up with more excuses to make this lemon pie filling again.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Sounds tasty Mom! You should link to the original recipe.

pam said...

You don't expect me to know how to link do you?