Monday, May 5, 2008

Family. Isn't it about...Time?

A BYU researcher did a study on child order in the family, and the TODAY show did a little piece on it. It's pretty interesting. What do think? Funny how they say it's the youngest who end up on TV. However, I defy them to say categorically that the eldest are necessarily more successful (like the author at the end says, it depends on how you define success). I'm glad we had such great parents who deliberately made time for all of us, even though I'm sure it wasn't easy.



Disclaimer: This is video provided by my future employer, MSNBC.com. As far as I'm aware, they're the only major online news sources to make all of their video embeddable.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Babies unite! I always thought I was the funnest in the family, but now I have scientific proof!

austinmcraig said...

If you're the funniest, I'm a close second. Can I be the most independent? Even if I am still financially the most (only?) dependant?

Emily said...

Sorry, guys. I married the most fun, funniest, most successful, most independent, and most likely to be on TV Craig.

(I'm sort of kidding -- not about how great S is, but about trying to be better than all the rest of you. Can't we all just be fun and funny and successful?)

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

Woops! I deleted my own comment some how. I don't do this blogging thing much, so it's to be expected. My thoughts were something to this effect:

Cool/interesting video. I'm with Austin though. It seems a bit unfair to make a blanket statement about first borns being more successful. Even if they define success as reaching the top of a given profession. Sure there are more first borns who become president, CEO, or whatever else. Then again, there are more first borns period! So it's to be expected from a purely mathematical standpoint. As a group they have an unfair statistical advantage. Jerks!

With the current population trends in the USA, third born children are likely to become the least successful people of all time! :)
(Sorry to all of your third borns, I'm sure I'll have one of my own some day, regardless or how unsuccessful he/she might be)

pam said...

Aren't we glad you are all originals and don't have to worry about fitting into any preconceived categories.