Saturday, January 3, 2009



“So, I guess it didn’t matter if we got the car dirty anyway.” – Aaron, when I rolled the car in Provo Canyon, after the paramedics and Highway Patrol had left. When we were leaving Sundance Ski Resort, I had asked the boys not to put their boots in the back seat area because it would get the car dirty.



I rolled the car, coming back from Sundance Ski Resort, after skiing with the boys. There had been six or seven inches of snow in the canyon last night, but this morning was beautiful. I had to put on the chains to get up the mountain to Sundance, but I took them off to come back down on the highway. I was going 45 or 50 miles an hour, and I hit a patch of ice still in the road. We started to slide into oncoming traffic. There was no median on that stretch. I cranked the wheel back hard the other way, and the car began to spin until we were almost backwards. We hit the snowbank on the shoulder and rolled the car two or three times. It was a strange feeling. Suddenly we were upside down and rolling; and it felt like we went upside down at least twice. We ended up on our side, with our wheels up in the air, resting on the snow. It all happened so fast that there was hardly any time to be afraid. When we came to a stop, I could hear each of the boys hollering in the back. I turned around and saw that they were all conscious and hanging in their seatbelts. Aaron started to scream, a little bit paniced, but I called his name and told him to look at me; and when he did, I assured him that we were all okay and that there was no need to be afraid. So he calmed down.

Several cars stopped on the highway, and people came over to help us. A couple of men helped me and the boys get out the smashed passenger side windows -- none of the doors would open. Someone dialed 911, and before long we had two state trooper vehicles, an ambulance, and a fire truck there. The paramedics asked us questions to make sure we weren't hurt, then allowed the boys into the back of the ambulance to stay warm.

I called Emily to let her know. I called mom and dad, and they came and picked us up.

A wrecking crew showed up, towed the car out of the snow, and took it to the junk yard.









We were grateful we could walk away. We said a prayer of thanks, right there on the snow, the four of us. The only injuries were very minor cuts from climbing out of the windows. We were grateful to make it back home to Emily and Norah.



It was a nice day on the slopes other than that. I took a few pictures: one on the way up the mountain; a couple on the way up the lift.












Post Script from the next Day:

I have tried not to think about the accident very much – i.e., considering the many possibilities that could have resulted in a much more tragic outcome. I think that fear thrives on thoughts of that which might happen but often never does -- or thoughts of that which did happen, but we are powerless to change. Rather, I have tried to have my heart full of gratitude to the Lord that we were all safe. I do not think that gratitude necessarily benefits from harrowing up all the possible horrors. I am very grateful that we walked away unharmed.

But that thought has made me reflect on the many people in life who don’t “walk away” from their tragedies. One of the paramedics told me about a double fatality from a similar accident a couple of weeks ago, same canyon. I know that those tragedies should not diminish my personal gratitude for my own blessings. However, it has made me reflect on the fact that, even if we cannot count on walking away safe from tragedies in this life, we can, because of the atonement of Jesus Christ, look forward to ultimately walking away from the great tragedies of this life: sin and death. I am forever grateful for that. And, having a brush with my own mortality brings those issues to the forefront.

13 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh Steve! THis makes me cry just to look at and think about, I am so glad you are all okay. Be careful! This makes me nervous to move to Utah. We are glad Heavenly Father blessed you today, so glad. We love you.

pam said...

Hope none of you are suffering from post traumatic shock syndrome, or some other after the fact terror. Your boys must be looking at this like a rider getting back on the horse he just got bucked off of, and say they are looking forward to their next ski trip. We are so thankful you all walked away with no injuries.

Katie Richardson said...

Wow. There have been many times in my life I have felt directly blessed from Mom and Dad's prayers for me...I believe this is one of those times for your family. We talk a lot about little miracles and this looks like one BIG one. What a blessing to all walk away un-harmed.

Christie K said...

So glad you guys are all okay!!

Angela said...

Glad you were all okay. It's funny you started the post with a quote from Aaron. One of the first things Brian said after I told him you were all okay, was that he wanted to hear Aaron's version of the story. Let us know if you need anything.

Callie said...

Wow, the Utah weather sure isn't giving you guys any breaks this season! First, we are so glad you are all ok!! The fact that you walked away with a few scratches is amazing. No doubt you were watched over and protected.
What a story your boys get to tell! Now maybe my kids won't roll my eyes every time I ask them if their seatbelts are on...
We love you guys!

go boo boo said...

That is gnarly! We are so glad you are all okay! love, the andy knights

Anonymous said...

Steve, that is a beautiful post script. You are awesome. Amye

cerise said...

tears came to my eyes when I saw the pictures of your crash. I am grateful all is well. your family was always such a good part of our lives and we miss you, I will take you up on your offer if you move across the street I will gladly cook for you and Julia will take pictures and offer fashion advice. Steve's painting sits proudly on top of our desk in our sitting room. it always reminds me of you. cerise

Andrew Dixon said...

I'm honored to know you and glad you're still here. I've lost too many lately. --Andrew

pam said...

I read in the paper just today about a woman and her 8 children in a van in Spanish Fork Canyon, I believe it was. They were involved in an accident and none of the children were wearing their seat belts plus 2 of them were in the front passenger seat and all were hurt really badly and had to be airlifted to various hospitals in the area. Thank goodness for good parents who teach their children to wear their seat belts, among other things. I shudder to think about when you were young and we didn't insist on child seats or seat belts. We too had guardian angels then.

austinmcraig said...

Glad you're still here. I would have missed you all a lot. And thanks for the postscript.

Paul Mosley said...

I was pretty shocked when Steve told me that Emily almost cashed in on his policy and he showed me the pictures. It is truly a blessing that you were all protected by the hand of the Lord. My other clients son Easton was in the car just two weeks earlier with the two fatalities. He was in ICU for 10 days and is finally doing well enough that they took him down a level. The car hit a patch of ice, spun into oncoming traffic and was t-boned. The driver and passanger just behind the driver died. All three of those boys have great missions in front of them.