Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Let's Talk Food

Okay, Family. Let's talk New Years Foods. I know that since it is only January 7th (as opposed to any day in February, April or November) each and every one of you have at least pondered the idea of how to eat healthier meals this year. If your last name is Craig, it is required that you think about this for at least the first 31 days of the year (give or take a day or two).

So after reading Nancy's inspiring post on Healthy Eating/TaeBo for Kids (which I want to get for our family)/and how to consume your daily broccoli (which thanks to Nancy I have eaten 2X in the past 36 hours!) I thought, maybe we could be sharing our own ideas on Healthy Living here on the Craig Family blog. You know, recipes, tips, thoughts, confessions, etc. Lets share, help and promote so we can all live long happy lives (I happen to like you guys).

For my contribution I give you this fabulous cooking aid: the Nesco Pressure Cooker


It is an amazing little thing that looks like a rice cooker but does oh so much more! This machine can cook just about anything in no time flat. We're talking taking beans from their dried state to plump and juicy in about 15 minutes! It can do the same for carrots, potatoes, roasts . . anything that normally takes a LONG time can be cooked Reachel Ray style--under 30 minutes. I know that this is old news to virtually all of you (Austin, had I shown you this before?) but I haven't been too healthy lately, so I'm having to reach back here. But since its January I did just make up a big batch of black beans in that baby (ha! but it is true & I haven't done that in a good 11 months)


Also, I have long thought that the secret to being healthy is to think more like a skinny person. Now Nancy, don't go telling me I already do this because I don't. Leisel does (like when she says "I'm not really an ice cream person" or "chocolate doesn't really do it for me." Trust me, I don't think that way.

As you know, my SIL Kara is the ultimate in thinking like a skinny person. Fortunately for us Kara was recently laid up with a toe injury and decided that while she was sitting on the couch nursing her little toesies to start a recipe/health blog. Fascinating! Now we can look into the mind of a woman obsessed with putting only good things into her body. Let's remember, too, that Kara's taste buds dictate that her healthy food must taste fabulous, too.
You must check out her recipes and be inspired by her food philosophies. Go there now.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Looks like a fun blog, maybe it's just me, but it would be helpful is she had like a glossary or something that told what some of her ingredients are. The recipes are a bit intimidating if you don't know what's in them. But the tortillas look yummy. I'd like mom to post her tortilla recipe that she used in the mission, I've always wanted that. As for healthy? I had a lean cuisine for lunch yesterday and today, but I cook healthy dinners and eat oatmeal for breakfast, I can't "cook" three meals a day!

austinmcraig said...

How has food not come up more on this blog? It was a frequent point of interest in Mom and Dad's letters from their mission.

pam said...

That looks like a great pressure cooker. Can it do the 4 pint jars like the little one Elaine showed us last summer? Austin, your mother stopped talking about food because everybody gave her such a bad time about it when she did talk so much about food from the mission.