Monday, October 29, 2007

A Little Bombay House for Your House!

When we went to the Bombay House a couple of weeks ago with some of you, I mentioned that we had a good recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala, and then promptly forgot to give it to you. But you're all in luck, since we made it Saturday and it reminded me to post the recipe. It's seriously delicious. So delicious that there is none left to take a picture of. There's only one random ingredient in it, garam masala, which is a spice, and I was able to find it at Albertsons, so it's clearly not that exotic. And I have yet to successfully make naan, so we got some from Bombay House to go. And if you're looking to cut the fat in your life, just substitute the cream for milk or half and half or something. This makes enough for five adults (and one of those adults was Brian, who definitely had seconds, so maybe more like six adults).

Marinade
2 Cups plain yogurt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece ginger, minced
1-2 tsp. Garam Masala
1-2 tsp. Cayenne (more or less for heat)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

Marinate one pound of chicken cut up in bite-sized pieces for 1 hour to over night. Once done marinating, grill chicken pieces until cooked through (The recipe says to cook them on skewers on the bbq. I do this step on the george forman grill, but I should warn you, there's a lot of run-off). Set aside.

Tikka Masala Sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece ginger, minced
1 medium/large onion, diced
32 oz (the big one) can tomato sauce
2 tsp. garam masala
1-2 tsp. Cayenne (more or less for heat)
1 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cream
fresh cilantro for garnish

In a large sauce pan saute garlic, ginger and onion in a little oil until onion is softened. Add tomato sauce and seasonings, simmer for 10 minutes. Add cooked chicken and cream, simmer one minute. Serve over rice with cilantro garnish. Tasty!

Warning: Your house will smell like Indian food for a couple days, but it's totally worth it, and nothing a little air freshener and some open windows can't fix!

6 comments:

abby said...

If I'm not a Craig, can I steal this recipe?

I love tikka masala.

Becky said...

This sounds so yummy! I even have a little Garham Masala on my shelf (I consider myself a collector of spices)

I will be making Indian food very soon! Thanks Ang :)

Nancy said...

sounds yummy Ange, maybe you could make it for me when you come!

Angela said...

Nancy! When are you coming? Or are you talking about Christmas? And yes, Abby, any and all non-Craigs are allowed to use the recipe. In fact, it's encouraged!

pam said...

This sounds really good. I made 2 different kinds of curry last Sunday as Laurie has been asking for it. It turned out good and we will have the left overs, which are in the freezer, this next Sunday if you care to come and eat it with us.

austinmcraig said...

Mom's curry was great, and I'll bet this kind is really good, too.